Downloading all species from an area, not just those I've seen

2 years 3 months ago #1235 by Richard Thomas

Hi, I've put my World List on Bubo; what I would find exceedingly useful, but have been unable to find out how to do, is the following:

When I am visiting a country, I create a list for that country from my World List, but it includes every species that occurs in that country, whether or not I have seen it: I would immediately have a "hit list" of species I need to see when visiting.

The only way I can see to get around this is to tick every species on the world list, but (obviously) only those I have seen would have my notes about where / when I saw it. I could then filter the resulting country list that was created in Excel to look for blanks in the site / date column. Surely some easier way to do this?

Thanks
Richard

More
2 years 3 months ago #1236 by Mike Prince

Hi Richard

Does viewing your target list www.bubo.org/Listing/view-targets.html?list_id=20075 and then downloading that help?

More
2 years 3 months ago #1237 by Richard Thomas

Not really Mike - because the downloaded list of targets is ordered by the descending list of others who've seen it: anyway to keep their taxonomic / species sequence order?

More
2 years 3 months ago #1238 by Gregor Tims

What about if you click on targets and then rather than seen by other listers, click on seq. This should work!!

More
2 years 3 months ago #1239 by Richard Thomas

Hi Greg - it works in the sense that I then get a taxonomic list of all the birds I haven't seen - but the Sequence numbers when downloaded start from 1 - hence there's no way of integrating the needs into the list of the birds I have seen in taxonomic order (only way to integrate in an order is alphabetically as far as I can tell).

If the sequence number stayed with each species record (obviously lumps and splits would cause headaches), then at least you'd have a way of keeping the taxonomic order when you combined your seen and need lists.

Cheers
Richard

More
2 years 3 months ago #1240 by Mike Prince

Hi Richard

I've made a change to the download so it will stay in taxonomic order - see if this works ok for you.

More
2 years 3 months ago #1241 by Richard Thomas

Thanks Mike - I'll give it a go and report back. Cheers Richard

More