normal Lady Amherst's Pheasant

4 years 1 month ago #1248 by Nick Moss
Replied by Nick Moss on topic Lady Amherst's Pheasant
:laugh:

Ok I had'nt realised it was that long ago.

But the point remains, if that extinct species is not on the British list, why would Lady Amhersts Pheasant remain when it dies out?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #1249 by Jim Clarke
Replied by Jim Clarke on topic Lady Amherst's Pheasant
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Jim Clarke.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #1250 by Jim Clarke
The point doesn't remain. Great Auk is on Category B of the BOU British List. You can tick a Category B no problem if you are old enough to have seen it in Britain 50+ years ago, but why would you put a species up on a listers site like Bubo that no one could conceivably have seen?

Cat B is for species that otherwise would be on Cat A (i.e. wild birds). No time limit is mentioned for Cat 6. If BOU want to mess around with the categories further (say to subdivide B to include once self-sustaining feral birds) they could, and you are best to ask BOU directly about it, but I can't see it being a particularly pressing issue for them. If you took Lady A from the start of its C6 status that's 2055, from the last bird of the formerly feral population that's going to be 2064 or shortly there after.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Jim Clarke. Reason: 'that' to 'that's'

More
4 years 1 month ago #1251 by Nick Moss
Cheers Jim. If the only reason Great Auk is omitted on BUBO is simply because no one can have seen it, then that is understandable.

I just wondered whether birds that had died out were not retained on the list, hope that makes sense.

More
4 years 1 month ago #1253 by Jim Clarke
Actually a correction to the last sentence of my last post. James is correct; BOU have stuck with a cutoff date (31 December 1949 www.bou.org.uk/british-list/species-categories/ ) for Cat B, rather then the rolling 50 year one I implied (and I'm not entirely sure where I got that from). So in that regard any change in Lady A status would also have to involve a change in the Cat B cutoff date. Otherwise it could potentially stay on C6 for ever.

More
4 years 1 month ago #1258 by Nick Moss
I see that according to Lee Evans year list 2015, he reports 5 males still in existence from 12 March this year, 3 at a his former feeding station, and 2 more males he believes to be forced from the land of the nearby Centre Parcs.

I thought we were down to 1 or 2 birds.

Does anyone believe that females are infact still alive and breeding is still occurring?

Interesting. And not secret either.

Thoughts?

More
4 years 1 month ago #1259 by Jim Clarke
Thought; it's Lee's report so contact him?

More
4 years 1 month ago #1260 by Nick Moss
I personally have no problem with Lee but as I am not close to him I don't think I would get any reply. I'm sure others will query this anyway and his thoughts will emerge.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #1261 by Jim Clarke
I'm not sure anyone else will be able to (or wish to) expand any further then he already has done.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Jim Clarke.

More