Future features?

29 Apr 2024 16:33 #1 by Ewan Parry
Future features? was created by Ewan Parry
Hi, 

Really liking the new site and the integration of individual taxa to Pan-Species Listing. I don't know if it's at all helpful or even possible but I have a few recommendations for improvement/features that I think would help the site grow. 

1) Being able to upload iRecord lists, even if what you were left with were a load of conflicts to sort out manually, it would still be quicker for those transferring old digital data. Or a template excel sheet that we could wrangle our data into, that would then be read perfectly by Pan-Species-Listing and converted to a list. I guess, in a perfect world, Pan-species-listing could grab new list items from records of new species on iRecord automatically if accounts were linked somehow...

2) Being able to view or group by smaller taxon groups or subdivisions. I realize this may be a lot of work but it would be amazing to for example look at all shieldbugs or ladybirds and quickly see which ones you have listed with a tick or a green box and which ones you haven't (maybe even a pie chart?). Alternatively, being able to group the list of all taxa in 'batch mode' by phylogeny would be similarly useful. Once you are viewing a smaller group (eg. family, subfamily), it would nice to have the 'rarity' score from the blockers calculation reflected somehow, so you can see which species of a group other people are most likely to have listed.

3) The creative commons images relating to the last taxon added to the site is a nice touch but it would be even better if clicking on an individual species could show you a representative image in the same way. Embedded NBN atlas maps (automatically generated as in FSC Identikit keys) could also be a nice feature. 

As I said, I have no idea about the relative feasibility of implementing any of these ideas but thought feedback might be useful. 
Thanks, 

Ewan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2024 15:03 #2 by Andy Musgrove
Replied by Andy Musgrove on topic Future features?
Thanks for this Ewan, glad you're enjoying it. To answer your suggestions...

>1) Being able to upload iRecord lists, even if what you were left with were a load of conflicts to sort out manually, it would still be quicker for those transferring old digital data. Or a template excel sheet that we could wrangle our data into, that would then be read perfectly by Pan-Species-Listing and converted to a list. I guess, in a perfect world, Pan-species-listing could grab new list items from records of new species on iRecord automatically if accounts were linked somehow...

Links between systems are complicated things to build, and way out of our current capacity to take on. The template excel sheet would be much more feasible though yes - we'll give that some thought

>2) Being able to view or group by smaller taxon groups or subdivisions. I realize this may be a lot of work but it would be amazing to for example look at all shieldbugs or ladybirds and quickly see which ones you have listed with a tick or a green box and which ones you haven't (maybe even a pie chart?). Alternatively, being able to group the list of all taxa in 'batch mode' by phylogeny would be similarly useful. Once you are viewing a smaller group (eg. family, subfamily), it would nice to have the 'rarity' score from the blockers calculation reflected somehow, so you can see which species of a group other people are most likely to have listed.

Certainly we're keen to do the smaller groups - that's on the shopping list but we've just run out of steam temporarily. Will get back onto this in due course (as keen to see the sawfly rankings personally!)

>3) The creative commons images relating to the last taxon added to the site is a nice touch but it would be even better if clicking on an individual species could show you a representative image in the same way. Embedded NBN atlas maps (automatically generated as in FSC Identikit keys) could also be a nice feature. 

The images are out of our control really - they're just pulled from Flickr. Yes, I guess we could pull them in when you click on a species, but they're not 100% reliable. Not sure this is a top priority. Could do the NBN maps, I guess - note that we already have links to these on the main checklist (see right hand column in  panspecieslisting.com/pan-species-listing-psl-uksi.html )

All good thoughts. No promises, as we're limited in time and energy, but always good to hear suggestions.

Cheers

Andy

More
30 Apr 2024 21:24 #3 by Ewan Parry
Replied by Ewan Parry on topic Future features?
Hi Andy, 

Glad the suggestions are somewhat helpful. I hadn't noticed the link out to NBN atlas, that's perfect to be honest and a better idea than mine of bringing the images or a map up. Maybe it would be nice to have the link on personal lists as well. If possible, a link to the iRecord details page for that taxon would also provide reliable record images and solve that problem? Anyway, these are all just suggestions. Thanks for the all the hard work that must have gone in to getting this site to its current state, much appreciated! 

Ewan

More
Moderators: Graeme Lyons