BUBO Listing News
You will have noticed a new look to BUBO Listing. Everything should work as before but with a few changes other than the new design:
- You no longer need a username. Instead you can log in with your email address, or your existing username. Forgotten usernames and passwords are a very common support query for us, so hopefully this will be easier for everyone in the future!
- The menu of options when you are logged in, to view My Lists, Create New List etc., is now part of the main menu at the top. If you can't see My Lists in this menu, then you need to log in. The login form has now moved to the top right.
- New functionality includes checking the Top Blockers for any list!
Thanks to the brilliant Gyr Crakes for the updated BUBO logo!
If you notice any problems with the new site then please contact us.
What is the rarest bird you've seen? In Britain could it be Allen's Gallinule, or Brown-headed Cowbird, or maybe on a world scale you've managed to see Carunculated Fruit Dove, Djibouti Francolin or Eaton's Pintail?
You can now check your top 100 'blockers', that is species you have seen that very few other listers have. On any list, click the kiwi to get a list of up to 100 blockers, ordered by their rarity value. You can do this for any list for any other lister too, not just your own lists.
Following the update to American Ornithological Society (AOU) and American Birding Association (ABA) checklists in BUBO Listing, we have also updated all US state authority checklists. These now follow the latest AOS taxonomy, and incorporate new species additions for all states where known. Many states do not themselves update their published lists regularly so there are undoubtedly a few errors in our state lists. If you find any, please let us know in the forum.
All North American checklists on BUBO Listing are updated to the latest official published versions and taxonomies. In particular this includes the authorities listed below (shown with the major species changes):
- White-winged Scoter split into Velvet Scoter Melanitta fusca, White-winged Scoter M. deglandi and Stejneger’s Scoter M. stejnegeri
- Grey-faced Petrel Pterodroma gouldi split from Great-winged Petrel P. macroptera
- Monteiro’s Storm-Petrel Hydrobates monteiroi split from Band-rumped Storm-Petrel H. castro
- Orange-bellied Trogon Trogon aurantiiventris lumped into Collared Trogon T. collaris
- White-collared Seedeater Sporophila torqueola split into Cinnamon-rumped Seedeater S. torqueloa and Morelet's Seedeater S. moreletti
- Chivi Vireo Vireo chivi split from Red-eyed Vireo V. olivaceus
- And from earlier 2018 updates, the addition of new species: Black-backed Oriole, Great Black Hawk, Red-backed Shrike, Pied Wheatear, and Mistle Thrush, Indian Peafowl, European Robin, Thick-billed Warbler, and River Warbler
Importantly we now extend our ABA area to include Hawaii, as per the v8.0.1 (November 2017) update, which results in over 100 new species being available. We keep the 'old' ABA Continental Traditional area for historical lists (pre 2016) but you should use the new ABA Area location, including Hawaii, in future.